The Best Hockey Gloves for 2023 (with reviews)
With numerous glove launches over the past year, in this article, we will go over what we think are the best hockey gloves for the 2023 season and beyond. To see more options, check out our full selection of ice hockey gloves.
In this article, we’ll cover:
- Warrior Covert QRE 10 Senior Hockey Gloves$179.98 Original Price $189.99 You Save 5% Original Price $189.99 You Save
- Warrior Covert QRE 10 Junior Hockey Gloves$124.98 Original Price $149.99 You Save 17% Original Price $149.99 You Save
Overview: The Warrior Covert QRE 10 Gloves are Warrior’s most advanced glove to date. Warrior combined ultimate comfort, feel, and durability making these a great pick for players of any skill level.
- AxyFlexx Cuff and thumb offer ultimate wrist freedom while handling the puck and shooting while still offering full slash protection and the AXYFlex Thumb, which aids in mobility and dexterity.
- Combining the AxyFlexx features with the Lycra gussets throughout, along with the Pro SmartPalm+ with Clarino HAR, the Covert QRE 10 Gloves will provide an incredibly durable and game-ready feel right off the shelf
- For breathability and comfort, the Covert QRE 10 utilizes a Wartech FNC liner with a Polygiene layer, which helps wick moisture away from the hands during gameplay, and decreases dry time.
Overview: Like the Covert QRE 10 Gloves, the CCM Tacks AS-V Pro Gloves are packed with technology and features, making them a top-of-the-line, pro-level glove. While they are the more expensive gloves on this list, theTacks AS-V Pro Gloves will provide maximum performance and durability for even the most skilled players.
- Max coverage anatomical shield design puts protection at the forefront, providing ultra-comfort and a customizable fit
- A shorter open anatomical cuff allows for greater freedom of movement while keeping you protected
- A pro feel Ax suede palm is reinforced and has antibacterial polygiene and odor fighting treatments to help keep your hands comfortable and fresh with a durable grip
- Bauer Supreme Ultrasonic Intermediate Hockey Gloves$157.99 Original Price $189.99 You Save 17% Original Price $189.99 You Save
- Bauer Supreme Ultrasonic Senior Hockey Gloves$157.99 Original Price $199.99 You Save 21% Original Price $199.99 You Save
- Bauer Supreme Ultrasonic Junior Hockey Gloves$134.99 Original Price $169.99 You Save 21% Original Price $169.99 You Save
- Bauer Supreme Ultrasonic Youth Hockey GlovesOut of stock
Overview: The Bauer Supreme Ultrasonic Gloves are a top of the line glove improvements made throughout the glove in the cuff, fingers and the shell bringing a new level of comfort and protection to the Supreme glove line.
- PRO Lite Tex and a PU skin overlay give the glove a good base of durability to get the most longevity out of your gloves
- Shotboost finger, a 3-piece split middle and ring finger, improves the feel in your hands and optimizes stick control while shooting
- Triple Shock and Poron XRD foams provide players with elite-level protection in all aspects of the game
- Pro feel MAX-CONNEKT palm (SR) and a Flex CONNEKT palm (JR) offers players with great comfortability and feel of the stick during gameplay
Overview: The True A6.0 Gloves are the newest iteration of their classic, 4-roll design. These gloves were designed with maximum performance and comfort in mind.
- Engineered to efficiently absorb the force of impacts, thanks to the addition of the Pro-Grade EPP foams topped with PE inserts used throughout the entirety of the gloves.
- Microban liner used on the interior of the gloves helps wick moisture away from players’ hands and works to eliminate odor-causing bacterias.
- For mobility, the True A6.0 Gloves utilize True’s new ergonomic flexible cuff, paired with the TrueFlex+ thumb, that helps protect players against hyperextension and direct impacts against slashes.
Overview: Another great all-around option are the CCM JetSpeed FT4 Gloves. These gloves still offer some of the best durability and performance on the market.
- Anatomical, close-to-the-hand fit that provides players with great control and comfort. The cuff has also been redesigned to be shorter and pre angled, allowing for enhanced wrist movements, flexibility, and protection
- Pro-level protection is provided by Pro level HD Foam and PE inserts used throughout the gloves, giving players added protection against direct impacts such as blocked shots or slashes.
- Pro Clarino Palm plus additional high abrasion reinforcement palm with a seamless palm-to-cuff transition inside & out for ultimate comfort and optimal interaction with your stick.
Overview: The Bauer Pro Series Gloves are still some of Bauer’s most popular gloves on the market thanks to their classic 4-roll fit and design, along with more modern features, that make them a great option.
- PRO Lite Tex and a PU skin overlay give the glove a good base of durability to get the most longevity out of your gloves
- Hypersense finger liner, with dual density foams and hyperlite hd foams help to make the classic fitting glove fit a little bit narrower in the fingers and hand to help with feel and control
- The highest level of protection thanks to the EPP foams with poly inserts for added padding
- Pro Palm with nash tip gussets offers players great comfortability and feel of the stick during gameplay, and added durability and longevity against the wear and tear of stick tape
Overview: The CCM Tacks 4R Pro2 Gloves are a great option for players who want a 4-roll style glove with pro-level protection without breaking the bank.
- Pro-level protection is provided by the dual-density foams with PE-Inserts and D30 Smart Material throughout the entirety of the glove wrapped in polyester and PU leather. This combination provides players with maximum durability and protection by deferring force of direct impacts away from the hands.
- Reinforced Nash palm that provides excellent stick feel during stick handling and shooting, while also being able to withstand the wear and tear of hockey stick tape.
- Inside the Tacks 4R Pro2 Gloves is a Polygiene-treated liner, which helps wick moisture away from the hands so players are comfortable during gameplay. This liner also helps the gloves dry out quicker when they are not in use so they are fresh during your next game or practice!
- True Catalyst 9X Youth Hockey GlovesOut of stock
Overview: Arguably the most protective gloves on this list, and the market in general, are True’s Catalyst 9X Gloves!
- 20mm Pro grade EPP foam with 1mm PE inserts, which provide maximum protection against stick checks and slashes
- TRUEFLEX3 Three-piece hinge flex thumb, providing further protection against stick checks, increased flexibility as well as unmatched hyperextension protection
- AX Suede base palm sewn in with AX Suede overlay and AX Suede pro style gussets provides superior protection and comfort and help to keep the palm from wearing too quickly
Oerview: The Warrior Alpha FR Pro Gloves feature a classic four roll fit with a performance fit and new technologies. A Hybrid Taper Fit contours to the natural shape of your hand, giving you maximum mobility and improving protection. The non-restrictive Pro Cuff increases your range of motion without sacrificing wrist protection.
- Impax Technology, a combination of lightweight high-end VN Impax foams, makes this glove one of Warrior's most protective
- Buttersoft feel thanks to Warriors Pro Palm, Lycra gussets throughout, and the AXI-Flex thumb, giving the gloves unmatched protection and a game-ready feel
- Wartech FNC strike yellow liners, built with a layer of Polygiene material, allowing the gloves to wick moisture away from the hands and help keep your gloves odor-free
Overview: Rounding out our top 10 list are Warrior’s newest iteration in their 4-roll line-up; the Warrior Alpha LX 30 hockey gloves. These gloves provide players with good protection and mobility at a desirable price point.
- Classic anatomical, hybrid-taper fit that conforms to the shape of the hand without feeling restrictive. This setup provides great mobility and responsiveness during stickhandling and shooting.
- Warrior’s “Butter Soft” feel utilizes lycra gussets throughout the fingers and palms giving players that game-ready feel right off the shelf.
- Pro Cuff is non-restrictive and extends the range of motion thus improving your puck handling while still providing elite-level protection from slashes around the wrist area.
- The Pro-palm enhances the comfort and feel characteristics even further. Additionally, it also increases overall durability against wear and tear of hockey stick tape.
How to Choose Hockey Glove Sizes
The quickest way to see if a glove does or does not fit is to try it on and see if it covers the entirety of your palm. If not, the glove is too small. If it does but feels too loose, then the glove is too big. You can get a more accurate reading by measuring from the base of the palm to the tip of your index finger (in inches) and that number will be a good indicator of the size you will want to start with. Of course, you will also want to factor in the fit of the glove, whether you want an anatomical fit, classic fit, etc. For more in-depth details on how to choose hockey glove sizes, check out our complete guide on hockey glove sizing.
Best Budget Hockey Gloves (under $100)
CCM Jetspeed FT475 Hockey Gloves: This pair of gloves is the total package when it comes to fit, protection, and longevity. They utilize a simpler, more anatomical back roll design and the cuff has also been redesigned to be a shorter, pre angled one piece cuff allowing for unrestricted wrist movements, augmented flexibility, and protection. A base layer of high-density PE foam and PE inserts are key in giving you the best impact absorption possible, and the two-piece segmented fingers offer great dexterity. A soft nash palm with reinforcement gives you a soft feel to help with stick control while still retaining good durability.
Best Bauer Hockey Gloves
Bauer Supreme Ultrasonic Hockey Gloves: The Bauer Supreme Ultrasonic gloves are Bauer's top of the line gloves, offering innovations and features not seen in previous Bauer Supreme gloves. The shell is constructed with Bauer’s new PRO Lite Tex and a PU skin overlay, giving the gloves a good base of durability to get the most longevity out of your gloves. The Shotboost finger, a 3-piece split middle and ring finger, improves the feel in your hands and optimizes stick control while shooting. The Supreme Ultrasonic Hockey Gloves feature a patented three-piece Flex Lock design within the thumbs, allowing players to have improved mobility and comfort thanks to the three-piece design, but also well protected thanks to the Flex Lock concept. The backhand of the Supreme Ultrasonic Hockey Gloves feature Bauer’s highest level of protection thanks to the Triple Shock and Poron XRD foams. Bauer is using a Pro feel MAX-CONNEKT palm (SR) and a Flex CONNEKT palm (JR). This pro-level palm offers players with great comfortability and feel of the stick during gameplay.
Best CCM Hockey Gloves
CCM Tacks AS-V Pro Hockey Gloves: The CCM Tacks AS-V Pro hockey gloves are designed to provide professional-level protection, comfort, and performance for hockey players. They are constructed using a lightweight and durable pro-selected polyester material with a reinforced side panel to increase durability. The gloves feature a pro-level protection package that includes PE foam with D3O® smart material to offer advanced impact protection. This material is also used in the backhand and fingers to provide protection against high-velocity impacts. An anatomical fit is designed to contour to the player's hand for a snug, comfortable fit. The palm is made from reinforced Clarino® material that offers excellent feel and durability, while the fingers are ventilated to help keep the player's hands cool and dry. An open segmented cuff design offers greater wrist mobility, enabling the player to have better stick handling and shooting ability.
Best Warrior Hockey Gloves
Warrior Covert QRE 10 Hockey Gloves: The Best Warrior Hockey Gloves go to Warrior’s latest iteration of their Covert line, the Covert QRE 10 Gloves. The gloves use the Covert Taper Fit profile, contouring to a player’s natural hand and wrist shape to maximize mobility and protection. Enhancing that is Warrior’s new AXYFlex V2 cuff, which offers the ultimate wrist freedom while handling the puck and shooting while still offering full slash protection and the AXYFlex Thumb, which aids in mobility and dexterity. The Pro SmartPalm+ with Clarino HAR is just part of what makes these gloves feel game-ready right off the shelf. This combination consists of thicker, abrasion reinforcement that slows wear and tear without sacrificing that soft touch feel.
Best Youth Hockey Gloves
Warrior Alpha LX Pro Youth Hockey Gloves: The Warrior Alpha LX Pro hockey gloves are a great option for younger players who are still developing their strength and stick skills. They offer an anatomical fit with their Hybrid Taper Fit. Warrior’s Impax+ Technology protects little hands from all different types of in-game impacts and is lightweight. Additionally, they are ready to go right off the shelf thanks to the butter-soft feel provided by the mesh gussets on the fingers and palm!
Best Junior Hockey Gloves
Warrior Covert QR5 40 Junior Hockey Gloves: The best junior hockey gloves are the Warrior Covert QR5 40 Hockey Gloves. The Warrior Covert Taper Fit 2.0 is perfect for those players who are ready to put their newly learned stickhandling skills into action by providing a responsive, yet protective, fit. They also utilize Warrior’s EXO foams throughout, which provide great protection against falls and deflected pucks. Warrior's SmatPalm provides both durability and feel in the palm area.
Best Senior Hockey Gloves
Bauer Supreme 3S Senior Hockey Gloves: The best senior hockey gloves go to the Bauer Supreme 3S Hockey Gloves. The Supreme 3S Gloves feature some specs that are found in their more advanced model, but at a much better price point. The Poly Mesh with PU Overlay outer shell allows the glove to maintain superior durability, allowing the player to get the most longevity out of their gloves. The Shotboost finger, a 3-piece split middle and ring finger, improves the feel in your hands and optimizes stick control while shooting. A patented two-piece Flex design within the thumbs allows players to have improved mobility and comfort. The Stretch CONNEKT palm offers players great comfortability and feel of the stick during gameplay.
When sizing hockey gloves, the general rule of thumb is that you want to make sure that the palm of the glove fully covers the palm of your hand when wearing them. If you can see the base of your palm while you have them on, try going with one size larger. If you have access to a tape measure, measure (in inches) from the tip of your middle finger to the base of your palm. That number will indicate what size you will want to go with. From there, you can pick which type of fit you prefer (anatomical, traditional, etc.). For more detailed information, check out our complete guide to hockey glove sizing.
Bauer hockey gloves are the most popular brand when it comes to the best hockey glove brands. They offer three lines of gloves; Vapor, Supreme, and Nexus. The Vapor line is a snug-fitting glove that is great for crafty stickhandling players. The Supreme line is an anatomical, form-fitting close that is a combination of great protection and mobility. The Nexus line is ultra-protective and features a classic 4-roll feel and look.
CCM hockey gloves are another great option when discussing the best hockey glove brands. Like Bauer, CCM also has three fit styles; JetSpeed, Tacks, and the Tacks 4-Roll, which feature the same qualities as Bauer. However, CCM has proven themselves as a great option for players who are looking for unmatched durability as well.
Warrior hockey gloves are starting to make a huge name for themselves with a rapidly increasing amount of players in the NHL starting to wear them. Warrior has two fit styles; their classic-fitting Alpha line, and their anatomical fitting Covert line. Both lines have multiple different price points to choose from as well. Lastly, the Warrior hockey gloves have the most color options!
True hockey gloves are the newest major glove brand, however, they are quickly starting to make a name for themselves, with the likes of Mitch Marner from the Maple Leafs using them. True has two lines as well, the XC line, which is True’s snug-fitting glove, and the A line, which is True’s classic-fitting glove. Both offer high-level performance specs at a great price point.
Find the Best Selection of Ice Hockey Gloves at HockeyMonkey!
No matter your skill level or playing position, there is always the perfect glove out there for you! To get started, check out our full selection of ice hockey gloves, with in-depth descriptions, to help you make your decision!
This article was originally published on June 21, 2021, and has been updated with new information.