Hockey Helmet Sizing Guide & Charts: Find the Right Fit!
It is no question that Ice Hockey Helmets are one of the most important pieces of equipment that an Ice Hockey Player wears. An advanced Ice Hockey Helmet protects your head against a variety of different impacts like deflected pucks, accidental high sticks, contact with the boards, and so on. However, for an Ice Hockey Helmet to provide protection to its full potential, it must fit properly. This guide will go over Hockey Helmet Sizing, will provide Hockey Helmet Size Charts, along with a brief explanation of how a Hockey Helmet should fit.
- Hockey Helmet Considerations
- Hockey Helmet Size Chart
- How to Fit a Hockey Helmet
- Hockey Helmet Sizing by Brand
- Common Questions About Hockey Helmets
Hockey Helmet Considerations
- Protection: A hockey helmet should fit snug to prevent any shifting and maximize protection. Make sure the chinstrap can be adjusted so it gently makes contact under the chin when fastened. Hockey rules may require that you wear CSA and HECC certified helmets. Check the rules by which you play for the requirements. All CSA and HECC certified helmets have a sticker indicating their certification.
- Comfort: You should always look for equipment that feels comfortable. Although most helmets are lined with a protective foam, some helmets will feel better than others. Try on different brands of helmets for fit and comfort.
- Brand: Different brands will have their own look, fits, and features. Head over to our website to check out all the major helmet manufacturers to see which one would best match your playstyle and preferences.
- Color: The overall color of the helmet can be something to take into consideration as well, especially if you play for an organized league, like High School hockey or Travel hockey. Often times, teams like that will require all players to have a universally colored helmet so everyone matches. Luckily, the big-name helmet manufacturers, like CCM, Warrior, and Bauer, all carry a variety of different colors for you to choose from!
Hockey Helmet Size Chart
The size chart listed below are general Ice Hockey Helmet sizing guidelines, and while they DO NOT guarantee a perfect fit, they are helpful to keep in mind starting out. Once you narrow down which specific helmet you want, you can find it on our website, then click the size chart tab at the bottom of the product page, as that size chart will pertain to that specific brand!
|Helmet Size||Age Range||Hat Size||Circumference (in.)|
|X-Small||4 - 6||6 1/8 - 6 3/4||19.3" - 21.4"|
|Small||7 - 11||6 1/2 - 7||20.6" - 22.2"|
|Medium||12 - 16||6 7/8 - 7 3/8||21.9" - 23.3"|
|Large||17+||7 3/8- 7 3/4||22.7" - 24.5"|
|X-Large||17+||7 5/8 - 8 1/8||24" - 26"|
How To Fit a Hockey Helmet
No matter what age bracket you play in, there is always some type of contact within the game of Ice Hockey. That is why it is always important to get Ice Hockey Equipment that fits properly, especially the Ice Hockey Helmet.
Measure Your Head
To find your corresponding size, you will want to measure the circumference of your head. Wrap a measuring tape around your head, an inch or two above the eyebrows. This should be around the middle of the forehead.
Open Helmet to Largest Setting
Most modern helmets have some form of an adjustment system. Adjust the helmet so it is in its largest size possible.
Put the Helmet On and Tighten
With your helmet opened to its largest setting gradually begin to downsize the helmet until a comfortably snug fit is achieved. The helmet should rest on the head so that the rim is one finger width above the eyebrow and making contact with the top of your head.
Add in Mask and Chin Strap
Fasten the face mask up and check to see if the chin cup is snugly, but comfortably, fitting around the chin.
Test the Helmet for Fit
With the helmet fastened, shake your head up and down and side to side to test the fit. You will want it to move around much, if at all. It should remain snug on your head to provide optimal protection.
Hockey Helmet Sizing by Brand
Let HockeyMonkey Help with Helmet Sizing!
Head out to any one of our MonkeySports Superstores across the United States to try out various helmets from the top helmet manufacturers such as Warrior, CCM, and Bauer! For quick specifications on the helmets, check out our Hockey Helmet category page on our website, where you can learn about the fit, protection, and protection of different helmets.
Common Questions About Hockey Helmets
What are the safest youth hockey helmets?
- Bauer Prodigy Youth Hockey Helmet Combo
- CCM FL3Ds Youth Hockey Helmet Combo
- Warrior Alpha One Youth Hockey Helmet
What are the safest adult hockey helmets?
Can you make a hockey helmet wider?
Most modern helmets have some sort of adjustment system. Some have tabs on each side of the helmet that can adjust the fit, while others have a dial on the back of the helmet that can expand the overall fit of the helmet as well.
How long do hockey helmets last?
The HECC sticker on the back of the helmet is good for 6 ½ years meaning the technology within the helmet will provide adequate protection for players within that time span. Physically however, due to wear and tear, there is a chance it might deteriorate over time. Keep an eye out for cracks, torn/ripped padding on the interior, missing pieces, and so on.
Should your helmet be tight?
Yes, your helmet should be snug. You don’t want it moving around on your head while you are skating as that could be a potential issue when receiving contact from a hit, puck, etc. While it should be snug, you also don’t want it to be painful. When in the process of buying a new helmet, be sure to gather your head dimensions, and head shape to ensure a snug, but comfortable fit.